What began as an early morning making proper Lemon Squares became a later morning of tossing together Lemon Speedies.
Yes, I admit that I made the recipe up as I went along – but sometimes that works out pretty well.
1 pkg cake mix
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 dollop (or two) vanilla extract
2 10-oz jars lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Spray two 8X8 square baking pans with Bakers Joy, or other non-stick spray.
- Combine cake mix, melted butter, egg and vanilla in large bowl and mix until well blended. It should form a soft dough.
- Halve dough and roll out between two sheets of waxed paper or press evenly into pan. repeat with the second pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven, allow ample time to cool. When cool, spread one jar lemon curd (or peach, strawberry, cherry preserves?) per pan of baked dough.
- Return to oven for 15-20 minutes, or until edges of dough become golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting into squares and generously dusting with powdered sugar.
- Store in fridge.
As you can see, I opted to make one 8X8 pan with lemon curd – but used homemade peach preserves on the second pan. I will be delivering each dessert to different places, so thought it might be nice if everyone had some variety.